Academic Programs

Study at the Nagaoka University of Technology!

The Nagaoka University of Technology Department of Bioengineering offers both undergraduate and graduate programs leading to Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctor’s degrees. We encourage students with diverse backgrounds to consider the possibility of studying in our programs. Our programs currently have ~100 undergraduates and ~130 graduates with backgrounds in chemistry, electronics, material science, nutritional science and biology. Our undergraduate program is also unique in providing a long-term internship in the industry and other research institutions. This internship will offer first-hand experience in a leading company and different environment. Graduate students will be fully engaged in cutting-edge research in their choice of laboratory in our department.

Our school currently enrolls ~300 international students from 27 countries corresponding to ~12% of the entire student body. University housing facilities are available for international students at very low costs. We also provide free Japanese language courses at various levels. Financial aids are available through several routes. Please visit the Center for International Exchange and Education.

Admission Procedures

Our school accepts students at various educational and career stages. Student may enter our undergraduate program from the first year after the completion of high school education, or from the third year. The latter entry is designed for students who receive education in a National College of Technology, a unique five-year educational institution in Japan. Our graduate programs accept students with a Bachelor’s degree for Master’s course. Following completion of Master’s course, students may continue their education in our Doctor’s program. We also accept students with Master’s or corresponding degree to enter directly into our Doctor’s course. Students may enter our graduate programs from April or September. Students wishing to participate in our educational programs should seek assistance from the International Student Affairs and the departmental international relation.

[International Student Affairs]
E-mail: TEL: +81-258-47-9258
[Departmental international relation (Dr. Koichi Takimoto)]

Financial Aids

A small number of fellowships from the Japanese Ministry of Education may be available for students who wish to study in our Doctor’s course. The deadline for this fellowship application is usually in December. However, the university may perform a pre-application selection. Thus, students who wish to apply for this fellowship should contact in advance our department or individual faculties whose research they may be interested in. The university also administers various private and governmental fellowships for undergraduates and graduates.

Students who experience difficulty paying the enrolment fees or tuitions may be exempted for half or the entire fee. The exemption from the enrolment fee requires exceptional circumstances, such as the death of the person responsible for payment or disaster-related loss of the income. The exemption from tuitions requires excellent academic achievement.

Admission Stage

Admission Requirement

Examination and other information

1st year of undergraduate

High school graduates (12 years of formal education)

Examination for Japanese University Admission (JASSO)

3rd year of undergraduate

2 years of college or corresponding education (14 years of formal education)

Submission of documents to verify14 years of formal education, and university’s entrance paper examination

Master’s course

Bachelor’s degree

Interview and oral examination

Doctor’s course

Master’s degree

Interview and oral examination


We have four on-campus and one off-campus housing complexes available for international students. Most rooms in these complexes are single occupancy, whereas some buildings contain a small number of units with multiple rooms for a couple or family. Monthly rents are 6,000~12,000 Japanese Yen for single rooms, and 20,000~26,000 Japanese Yen for couple and family rooms.

You may also be able to find privately-owned apartments or renting houses at relatively low costs within walking or bus-ride distances from the campus. Monthly rents for a privately-owned one-bed room apartment range 30,000~50,000 Japanese Yen.

Japanese language education

The university provides various opportunities for international students to learn Japanese language and culture. Some courses are offered as a part of the standard curriculum with credits. Other courses, such as a 16-week intensive and basic Japanese language courses, are non-credit programs designed to assist the early stage of life in Japan.